Sunday, September 03, 2006

 
I went to dinner this past week (one of my last in Chicago turned out to be one of my first in Chicago - Edwardo's thin crust pesto with pepperoni - though it's been years since I've had one) with a person I had not met and two people who had not met each other but by small-world coincidence both knew the person I had not met. She had recently been to Morocco and wanted to show us her pictures. They were beautiful! Incredible design and colors. The market pictures were great - another world-traveller friend loves to take market pictures, so now I am attuned to them and take them as well.

One thing she noted is that women traveling alone (she was with her daughter) were harassed - the Peace Corps is supposed to give me strategies for dealing with that but they did say it was there. She also went to a women's cooperative, which she thought was very empowering, though in general the workers she saw had deplorable conditions and child labor. She said that having a guide really helped - a good tip for those who are thinking about visiting me as part of a larger visit. She went to Casablanca, Fez, Marrakech, Essouria (sp? guess I have to learn to spell that one - an Atlantic Coast resort town), and the Sahara - covered a lot of ground in a week - but each place was different and rich in culture and things to see!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?